PARAMOTORING 101 with CLOUD 9 PARAGLIDING
- Cloud 9 is proud to be one of the industry's first and one of the most knowledgeable sources for not only paragliding, but also paramotoring. We offer training, advice, sales and repairs through our shop, Adventure Toy Store, 7 days a week year-round.
This sheet is to provide a basic overview of Cloud 9’s approach to paramotoring and some of the gear we offer. PLEASE contact Steve or one of our staff for more details. We are dealers for just about every glider and motor company out there. If you get a warm fuzzy feeling from another brand, please let us know and we will help guide you towards a purchase of that gear or let you know Pro’s and Con’s that we might be aware of.
LESSONS: Our team of instructors is second to none. Cloud 9 is the largest flying center in North America. In 2017 we have 4 full time and 4 part time instructors, a repair shop and shop staff to help you along the way. We hold USHPA Advanced Instructor, Mini Wing Admin, USPPA Admin, Towing Admin and just about every other possible rating for both free flying and paramotor training. Steve, our owner, worked with the formation of the USPPA and motoring is his passion.
We take a pretty basic approach to motor training. Paramotoring is paragliding with a lawn mower strapped to your back as a means of allowing take off and sustained flight from level ground just about anywhere (FAA airspace regulations are full effect so there are restrictions). With this in mind it only makes sense to first get a good feeling for paragliding (free flight off a hill or mountain without an engine on your back). There are many other places around the country that teach with towing, with tandem flights then solo, or even just some ground handling classes then you go for it. If you choose to go this route, we are happy to help guide you to the schools that may be able to help you along this approach.
Our approach is simple and leads to a safe and methodical motoring career.
First step is our basic paragliding program. We have either an “Express” or a “P2 and Beyond” program. Both get you unlimited lessons to satisfy the requirements of the USHPA for your “P2” certification, what you need to fly at the majority of sites in the USA. This process takes 8-12 lessons for the average person. We add some special skills and talk a lot about motoring transition along the way. More information at www.paragliders.com/learn-to-paraglide. Once you have your P2, we encourage you to then fly a bit on your own, or at least spend some time ground handling until you feel totally comfortable with worry free takeoffs and landings in ideal conditions. Sometimes this is right after completion of your P2, other times it’s after the student has played about a bit on their own. Once we both feel your landings and takeoffs are solid, we are ready to add motor training! We will have advised you along the way on the proper wing for pure motor flying, or a hybrid wing that is ideal for both free flight and motor training.
We add the motor training at no additional cost with the purchase of a motor as long as lessons are on your motor. Again, we won’t want you flying your shiny new motor until we both feel you are ready for it. If you want to use our motor, a damage waiver must be signed, we will make SURE you are ready for it and the cost is the same a private one-on-one lesson, $295 plus $100 for motor/wing use so $395. That said, almost everyone commits and buys a wing and motor so lessons are usually included. We make extremely small margins on motor sales. We see the motor much as an accessory and know it will lead to a long fun business relationship where we gain from referrals and wing sales. Most need 1 to 3 motor specific lessons to be off and running (flying).
- PARAMOTOR GEAR SALES
THERE ARE MANY MANY CHOICES OF WINGS, MOTORS, RESERVES, AND ACCESSORIES. WE ARE DEALERS FOR JUST ABOUT EVERYONE SO PLEASE GIVE US A OPPORTUNITY TO QUOTE YOU ON WHATEVER BRAND YOU CHOOSE. BELOW ARE SOME OF OUR FAVORITES AND WHY. THIS CHANGES ALL THE TIME BASED ON CURRENT MODELS, NEW MODELS AND TECHNOLOGY. WE STAY CURRENT ON ALL ASPECTS OF MOTORING FROM ELECTRIC (THE FUTURE BUT NOT QUITE HERE), TO REFLEX WINGS, TO NEW RESERVE TECHNOLOGY LIKE THE “SQUARES” PICK OUR BRAIN AT 801-576-6460 OR INFO@PARAGLIDERS.COM. We offer package and student discounts!
WINGS: So many to choose from! Below are our top sellers. Please pick our brain for what is right for you. Students receive $300 off normal list price for wings (and discounts on just about anything we sell)
1. Ozone Mojo Power. Basic, stable, easy, great first wing for free flight AND motor training. http://www.adventuretoystore.com/ozone-mojo-pwr/"
2. Ozone Kona: Great advanced beginner, basic intermediate wing. Motor version of our overall best selling free flight wing, the Buzz Z. Great for both free and motor flight. Ideal choice to “grow into” http://www.adventuretoystore.com/buzz-power/"
3. Ozone Spyder: Steve’s favorite motor wing on the planet. Huge fan, basic intermediate, semi reflex (ask us or read about this), great for new pilot, great for best of the best. Our top selling motor specific wing. Light weight"
"4. SOL Flexus 2: Great wing similar to the Spyder in performance, standard weight, great value for a top company. http://www.adventuretoystore.com/sol-flexus/"
5. Other: We are dealers for all major brands and know them all well. Please contact us for any other brand or suggestions. There are SOOOO many good wings these days but the above are our top choices.
PARAMOTORS: So many brands to choose from. We look for value, track record, solid USA distributor with parts and support readily available (HUGE), innovation and customer satisfaction. Stay tuned for updates. Here we put links to the US distributor web pages as they usually have more info and updates than we can stay up on. Also prices are usually listed. Our students get $300 off listed motor prices. Shipping needs to also be factored into the price.
1. Air Conception Nitro 200: Yup, this is the one. 42 lbs for 200 lbs of thrust makes this the hands-down favorite. https://www.aviatorppg.com/store/p60/Air_Concepti... Contact us for options.
2. Mini Plane: Chad over there fantastic. We love his products, customer support, and wealth of knowledge. The Mini Plane Top 80 ABM is the lowest overall price on a quality product we can find. Other options on his page from Manair, and Polini are often in stock and ready to ship the same day!
3. Parajet: Sexy and strong. A long standing favorite and really beautiful looking units. https://parajet.com/us/
4. Fly Products: We love these guys. Long history, solid products and wealth of knowledge https://aerolight.com/A/index.php/products-menu/p...
RESERVES: Contact us for the correct size and “container” option. Some motors come with harnesses that allow for zip on attachments, others need a front container to hold the reserve. Reserves not required for motoring but a good idea. We offer $100 off reserves for our student and package deals. Containers are $75-125 extra.
1. SupAir Fluid: New “Square” technology is where it’s at. We can educate you on how’s and why’s but if your buying a new standard reserve, buy a square; if you have an old reserve, buy a square! http://www.adventuretoystore.com/reserves/
2. Sky Drive Rogallo: If you do acro or want a steerable system, the Rogallo is the way to go, but often only suggested in a 2 reserve harness situation. If this system fails, use square as a backup. High end and cool! http://www.adventuretoystore.com/sky-drive-ii-rag...
ACCESSORIES: Free Flight harnesses, tech, helmets, flight suits, variometers, books, videos, GoPro’s, T-Shirts,
acordion bags, spare props, etc can all be found at www.AdventureToyStore.com
Thank you for 25 years!