The FREERIDE brings a new level of agility and dynamic handling to the intermediate-advanced class of PPG wings. This exciting new design delivers the legendary speed, precision, and efficiency of the OZONE VIPER series, plus the handling and agility of the OZONE SLALOM. The mission of the FREERIDE is to elevate excitement without compromising comfort and stability, and it features the dependability and ease of use that our intermediate range wings have become known for.
Whether you are focused on competitive slalom flying, classic competition, or just carving aggressive lines, the FREERIDE is a fun and efficient high performance wing that delivers the goods.
We’ve taken the latest technology and best features from the VIPER 4, SLALOM, and SPEEDSTER 2, and adapted it all to a new mission. The result is one of the fastest and most stable PPG wings that we have ever produced. The planform and arc are based on the Viper 4, but with a lower aspect ratio for a more compact and forgiving feel. The OZRP remains unchanged, featuring SharkNose openings and the highest levels of CM+ within the OZONE range. A pure 4-line rigging plan and a new internal structure have been employed to carefully control the angle of attack and increase the chord-wise cohesion of the sail whilst accelerated. The overall effect is an increase in the internal pressure throughout the speed range for a more forgiving behaviour in turbulence, greater resistance to spin at higher angles of attack, and high levels of inherent stability at lower angles of attack. The efficiency of the sail has been optimised with miniribs, 3D shaping, and plastic rods for a clean, wrinkle free leading edge.
The Freeride is a competition wing at its base. It replaces the SLALOM, and sits between the VIPER 4 and SPEEDSTER 2 in the OZONE range. It is designed for experienced and advanced pilots who are seeking a wing with more dynamic characteristics than the SPEEDSTER 2, whilst being less demanding and more accessible than the VIPER 4.
PPG Competition Risers
The risers featuring the OZONE PK system and the option to install either the 2D or “Mateos” style Slalom Steering Systems.
Competition Flying & Freeriding
Although primarily designed for competitive slalom flying, the FREERIDE is also highly competitive in the “Classic” PPG comp format. Outside of competition, the FREERIDE is ideal for carving aggressive freestyle lines and venturing out for some efficient XC flying. This wing has been a pleasure to develop and test, and has put excited smiles on the faces of our team. It is a cutting edge design that gives experienced PPG pilots a new, efficient, high performance wing that excels at all types of advanced PPG flying.
- The VIPER 4’s little brother.
- We have used all the latest technology from the development of the VIPER 4, and put it into a more accessible package for a wider range of pilots.
- A wing that offers everything an experienced pilot seeks: efficiency, precision, maneuverability, speed, stability, comfort, and maximum fun.
- Developed in parallel with the VIPER 4 – it shares many features in common.
- The planform and arc are the same. This was the obvious base start.
- The profile is also strictly the same. The OZRP reflex profile was developed to offer the highest level of stability at high speeds and has proven to be highly successful in OZONE PPG wings.The OZRP yields high internal pressure, a more solid chord, and aerodynamic forces which increase stability in accelerated flight.
- Once again, the shark profile has a huge effect on the turning ability of the wing, allowing slower and sharper turns, with more feedback and therefore more safety at low speeds.
- The internal structure has been generated with the same recipe to increase sail cohesion to reach higher top speeds.
- We have 3D shaping and the use of plastic reinforcement on the LE to make the smoothest surface possible. This translates into higher efficiency thanks to an important drag reduction.
- The AR has been reduced to 5.6 to make the wing more compact and more forgiving in every aspect of the flying.
- We have reduced the amount of cells to 56, to get the right balance of cohesion and flex in the sail to provide this feeling of comfort needed for what we think creates immediate confidence in the wing.
- We are using a pure 4L rigging, for maximum chord stability and to achieve the best behaviour possible in any situation.
- The riser lines are sheathed Aramid, to make the pilot’s life easy.
|Number of cells||56||56||56||56||56||56||56|
|Projected area (m2)||11.97||12.8||13.7||14.5||16.2||17.9||19.7|
|Flat Area (m^2)||14||15||16||17||19||21||23|
|Project Span (m)||7.01||7.33||7.57||7.81||8.25||8.68||9.08|
|Flat Span (m)||8.89||9.21||9.51||9.8||10.36||10.89||11.4|
|Project Aspect Ratio||4.19||4.19||4.19||4.19||4.19||4.19||4.19|
|Flat Aspect Ratio||5.65||5.65||5.65||5.65||5.65||5.65||5.65|
|Root Chord (m)||1.99||2.06||2.12||2.19||2.31||2.43||2.55|
|Glider Weight (kg)||3.69||3.85||3.98||4.17||4.47||4.78||5.1|
|In-flight Weight Range PG (kg)||55-809||55-90||55-90||65-95||75-105||85-115||95-125|
|In-flight Weight Range PPG (kg)||55-105||55-120||55-130||65-140||75-150||85-160||95-170|
- Top Surface Cloth: Dominico 30D MF
- Bottom Surface Cloth: Dominico N20D
- Rib cloth: Dominico 30D FM
- Upper lines: Edelrid 8000U series
- Mid lines: Edelrid 8000U series
- Lower Lines: Edelrid 6843 series